If you know me, you know that I love tots. (Tater tots for the unenlightened.) They are first, and foremost cheap and can be (kinda) healthy if you bake them. They are a great side dish and compliment almost every meal. I love them. So when I came across a pin that had the headline with tots in it, I knew I had to try it.
I’m also a sucker for a good crock pot meal. I love the idea of fixing it and forgetting it. This recipe takes close to zero prep time unlike some of the other crock pot recipes I’ve come across. The only thing that takes time is cooking the bacon BUT the original recipe calls for using pre made real bacon bits. (They recommended Hormal brand.) I have a big package of pre-cooked bacon from Costco which I use specifically for these type of recipes. So it took about 1:00 min to make the bacon necessary for the recipe. I used fresh chicken breasts as recommended by the recipe. If you are using frozen chicken, cooking times will have to be a little bit longer.
This is a great recipe for a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. It only needs four hours to cook, which is too long for a regular weeknight but perfect for a Saturday or Sunday meal. Throw the ingredients in and run your errands. Dinner will be ready 3-4 hours later.
Crock Pot Cheesey Chicken, Bacon and Tots Bake
4 chicken boneless skinless breasts (About 2 lb.)
5 piece of bacon cooked and crumbled.
1 bag of tater tots (32 oz)
1 1/2 cup of pepper jack cheese
1 1/2 cup of NY Sharp Cheddar Cheese
3/4 cup of milk
salt and pepper
1) Grease the bottom of the crock pot pan
2) Line the bottom of the pan with 1/2 a bag of tater tots.
3) Sprinkle 1/2 the bacon over the tots.
4) Sprinkle 1/3 of the cheese over the bacon and tots.
5) Put the chicken in a single layer over the tots, bacon and cheese.
6) Add salt and pepper to the chicken. (I did a few healthy cranks on my pepper and salt mills)
7) Add another 1/3 of the cheese over the chicken.
8) Sprinkle the rest of the bacon over the chicken and cheese.
9) Add the reminder of the tots over the mixture.
10) Sprinkle the final 1/3 of cheese over the mixture.
11) Pour the milk over the top.
12) Set the crock pot on high and leave for 3-4 hours.
Serves: 5-6 people.
Recipe adapted from RealHouseMoms.